Friday, March 11, 2005

Phuket Photos

These are some photos a friend got from a friend. They are such an interesting, perhaps sad, juxtaposition of Westerners just vacationing, following the destructive tsunami.

I really don't mean to come off as judgemental (I mean, I love my vacations in life, too), but it seems a very sad few pictures where these people (Americans) seem to care less about helping and only care about their vacation.

The last pic really does it for me. A person helping next to a person rubbing on suntan lotion. Hmm.












4 comments:

Brian Aaby said...

Ryan, we know these are "Americans" how? I would argue (based on the Speedo) that they are European!

Chris said...

I've saw multiple interview in which the local government has asked tourist to come back to Phuket to vacation...maybe these "westerns" are trying to "do good" by vacationing and putting some much needed funds in the local economy...My .02

Ryan Lee Sharp said...

Ah, you're probably right... I was probably just trying to make myself feel better about going without my speedo...

A note though: these photos were taken just after the tsunami, early January, so it was before the big 'call for tourism' got reinstated.

Chris said...

well, if that is the case, that is truly sad, of course i just watched hotel rwanda, so i'm a little pissed about a lot of things. anyhow, Ashdown told me your headed S. East Asia, so I will pray for you cats and we will try and send some supplies. peace!