Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Me and Parker

Back in the groove of reading. Somewhat. I picked up Let Your Life Speak again. The last time I read this, Holly and I were off pilgrimaging across the States (sans baby). I have bought countless copies and given everyone of them away. Mike's reading of it recently made me want to pick it back up.

I opened it up, and following Nouwen's book, it was like water to my parched soul.

He opens, quoting William Stafford (another great Will)...

Some time when the river is ice ask me
mistakes I have made. Ask me whether
what I have done is my life. Others
have come in their slow way into
my thought, and some have tried to help
or to hurt: ask me what difference
their strongest love or hate has made.

I will listen to what you say.
You and I can turn and look
at the silent river and wait. We know
the current is there, hidden; and there
are comings and goings from miles away
that hold the stillness exactly before us.
What the river says, that is what I say.


Ahh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is beautiful. It makes me want to go read this book, also. Thank you .

Jared Milos said...

I've had about 3 people recommend that book to me. I'm gonna have to snag it when you're done...

Sarah Jane said...

Parker Palmer. Read this as a part of a leadership class I was in. Fabulous. Beautiful. Thanks for the reminder.