Monday, October 24, 2005

Me and Max Fischer



I told Jasen this evening that I feel solidarity with Max Fischer [read: Rushmore].

For those of you who don't know the story, Max was a student at Rushmore High School, wrote some hit plays, was a sort of child prodigy, and then got kicked out. He was 'demoted' to a public school where he entertained thoughts of leaving his 'enchanted life' for a 'normal life', taking up his father's profession. In the end, he recovers his original calling of being a playwright... but in a different context than he thought.

I resonate with this story.

I left the music world (sorta) about 2 years ago when I left my previous band, Timber. Timber was an experiment for all of us involved, and it proved very successful in several ways. I thought it was it.

But I guess you could say I got kicked out (just to follow the Rushmore story) or that the time had finally come for the band to cease. Either way, I underwent a felt demotion to a more 'normal life' and it didn't feel so bad. But it eventually spit me up to help me recall my original calling... writing through music, song, story and poetry.

Here I am, on the brink of something new... unsure of what it is... but pressing on all the same.

No comments: