Sunday, August 15, 2004

sayings of jesus and why they mattered to his listeners...

Reading matthew this afternoon, but i am taking a break to reflect on just a couple passages i am reading.

"Don't be flip with the sacred...Don't reduce holy mysteries to slogans. In trying to be relevant, you're only being cute and inviting sacrilege."

"Who preachers
are is the main thing, not what they say."

"It was apparent that he was living everything he was saying - quite a contrast to their religion teachers! This was the best teaching they had ever heard."


So, I can identify with both sides often. I am the Pharisee. I am the anti-establisment Jesus-follower.

In the emerging church conversation, and as this conversation grows more fully into realized expression, we must head these words that our words are not nearly as important as our lives. To speak of beauty and incarnate truth beyond absolute truth must be compelling life-wise, you know? I myself am tired of speaking of a way of living that I am encouraging others to do and then myself cannot.

God, change me.

1 comment:

New Life said...

Hey Ryan, I liked your words. I am new to blogworld. I just said something recently very similar to your fine words. I also noticed you like
Ryan Adams. :) Thanks for sharing.

If interested check out: Burned out for Jesus on my blog at: http://newlifeemerging.blogspot.com/

Peace,

Rick