Thursday, October 14, 2004

favorite parts of last night's debates...

perhaps the religious language was used to manipulate, but i choose not to believe that... i want to believe that these men do operate of some form of faith... my favorite quotes were from senator kerry...



And as President Kennedy said when he ran for president, he said, "I'm not running to be a Catholic president. I'm running to be a president who happens to be Catholic."

My faith affects everything that I do, in truth. There's a great passage of the Bible that says, "What does it mean, my brother, to say you have faith if there are no deeds? Faith without works is dead."

And I think that everything you do in public life has to be guided by your faith, affected by your faith, but without transferring it in any official way to other people.

That's why I fight against poverty. That's why I fight to clean up the environment and protect this earth.

That's why I fight for equality and justice. All of those things come out of that fundamental teaching and belief of faith.

But I know this, that President Kennedy in his inaugural address told all of us that here on Earth, God's work must truly be our own. And that's what we have to -- I think that's the test of public service.

...

I was taught -- I went to a church school and I was taught that the two greatest commandments are: Love the Lord, your God, with all your mind, your body and your soul, and love your neighbor as yourself. And frankly, I think we have a lot more loving of our neighbor to do in this country and on this planet.


i too think that i (and we) have far to go as far as expanding god's kingdom by way of loving our neighbor... what happens when the church fails to love her neighbor and extends this to her view on foreign policy (like declaring war on other nations that we fear could hurt us)?... what if god's patience with the church runs out?... what if he is working expanding his kingdom in ways other than the church (of course he is...) doug has an interesting post that inspired a couple of these thoughts...

No comments: