Thursday, October 28, 2004

thanks to...

amy robinson, for helping me to see that sting's line of 'you could say i lost my belief in the holy church' is not a slam on god or jesus, but a dissillusionment with the religion of man... i got hung up in language...

tony campolo, for helping to recover the beatitudes from 'nice over-spiritualized thoughts' to virtues of the kingdom of god now... blessed are the peacemakers, the meek, those who hunger and thirst for god... now i must live this...

my mom, for helping to curb my self-righteousness when i yelled at her for 'taking gods name in vein' when i was a high school zealot... i was young...

my grandma buchanan, for teaching me that it's typically 'good' things, not 'bad' things, that keep us from the 'best' things...

mike devries, for helping me to see that heaven is coming to earth... not vice-versa... now if only i can live this way...

u2, for giving imagination to the kingdom of god in the glorious song 'where the streets have no name'... i want to run...

mark scandrette and doug pagitt, for giving me words like 'wholistic', 'rhythm of life', 'sustainable', 'kingdom'... words that shape my reality... beyond the deconstruction to beautiful construction and living...

bart campolo, for helping me begin the process of rethinking what the word 'saved' actually meant in the hebrew mind... far be it from me to help people just 'secure spots in heaven'...

which leads me to brian mclaren, where to even begin?... a new kind of christian literally changed holly's and my life... wow... the tears streamed down our face as we read this together on a drive to the pacific northwest last fall... thank you for your constant inspiration...

chara cote, for reminding me that republicans actually have a lot of values that i value... like allowing the church to take care of things that might be handed over to the government...

jim wallis, for a brilliant analysis of rumsfeld's and bush's crusade/empire language... did you know that bush actually called this war a 'crusade' in one of his earlier speeches?... spooky...

ian nickus, for helping me to realize that worship music is a genre and that a songwriter in any genre should still compose good music with thought-through lyrics...

there are more... perhaps this will be a posting i do from time to time... thank you all...

No comments: