Saturday, November 20, 2004

A Sad Return Home

Well, Holly and I are driving back from Yosemite today 'cause I got real sick last night. We stopped at this Starbucks in Bakersfield and I checked my email and such as we chilled for dinner.

In my in box were five blog comments from the user "in_the_military".

I gotta be honest, after his/her last blasting of me on my blog, I chose to remain silent because you know, it's a free country. He/She can do as he/she pleases.

But some of these comments were so immature that I chose to delete them from the comments section of my blog.

This person has no profile and no blog of his/her own, no contact info left on my blog.

So, I turn my comments to you, In_The_Military:

I am sorry that I have offended you by my blog postings. This blog is a place for me to think out loud, share some thoughts, and dabble in ideas. Most of these notions are not a complete, not a final, not a full picture of who I am or what I believe.

It bums me out that you choose to flame me with insults and immature banter instead of make constructive criticism or honest dialogue. It also bums me out that you hide behind some alias and do not produce anything of merit under that name. All I find is ridicule on my blog from In_The_Military. That's sad. You seem to be a religious person, so at least we can agree that love, not hate, is the way to move to a better place, no?

Perhaps you should create your own blog that could be dedicated to challenging many of the ideas that I have on my blog.

I understand you want your voice to be heard, and I think that is important, even though I disagree with you on many of your points in the comments you have made on my blog. Still, if you want your voice to be heard, perhaps here on my blog is not the best place.

If you have a personal problem with me, I suggest you email me instead of posting on my blog. Perhaps there we could have a real conversation.

Thanks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You lucky bastard. I don't have any crazy people attacking my blog. Way to rub my nose in it.

in_the_military said...

Now that I have your attention:

Ryan, this is the internet. A free debate in the arena of ideas.

I logged on to your blog to participate in that free debate. But you know what bums me out? When you finaly responded to me you passive agressivly made an ad hominem attack on me for making an openly aggressive ad hominem attack on you. That's stupid.

And it just runs us in circles. I immagine that your friends think you are a pretty smart guy. Are you smart enough to read my comments and disect them, extracting the arguments, without getting wrapped up in the ad hominem attacks? The arguments I am talking about are there as you have already recognized, "even though I disagree with you on many of your points in the comments you have made on my blog."

Tell us why we should all live in Canada or believe that militant Muslims are not evil (shades of gray and all that) or that President Bush is. Tell us why Iraqi Arabs don't diserve to be out from under the yoke of Saddam's oppression and that by removing him we are the oppressors.

I read everything you write and think about it.

All I am looking for is clear, concise, cohert, logical thought. Maybe even a logical syllogism or two. I want to understand your kind or I wouldn't be here.

One last note Ryan: I don't hate you "not hate, is the way to move to a better place, no?" I wouldn't be willing to put you under my wing in Iraq if I hated you.

in_the_military said...

Ryan,
More importanly . . . I want to know how do we achieve spiritual rightness? Buddism, Siek, Hinduism, Islam, Jesus. I'd like to hear your thoughts backed up with the Holy writings of any religion you believe hold the truth.

Standing by . . . .

ordinary_nobody_dreamer said...

Ryan,

I have been a casual observer of your blog postings since the beginning of November. I hope that despite my lack of profile, blog of my own, and contact info, you will accept me and engage in constructive criticism and honest dialogue.

Like you, I too believe in the freedom of speech and freedom to discuss and disagree in the area of religion, politics and academics. And because of that I must admit that I was disappointed in your response to “in_the_military.”

Despite his insults, his immature banter and oversight of (Proverbs 15:1) which states, “ A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger”, I was expecting a healthy debate, a rebuttal and a discussion on the issues brought forth by “in_the_military”. Like you, I too want to think out loud, share my thoughts and dabble in ideas. And because of your own confession that your blogs are not a full picture of who you are and what you believe, I ask you. Who are you, and what do you believe?

In addition, it is in my humble opinion that “in_the_military” comments are best suited on your blog. You and I may disagree with “in_the_military”, but I personally respect his/her service to my God (Jesus Christ), my country (the United States of America), and me (a citizen).

“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another” (Proverbs 27:17). “This intimates both the pleasure and the advantage of conversation. One man is nobody; nor will poring upon a book in a corner accomplish a man as the reading and studying of men will. Wise and profitable discourse sharpens men’s wits…” (Matthew Henry’s Commentary p. 949)

In Christ
Ordinary_nobody_dreamer

Jesse said...

Free speech is a great thing, that's why blogs are great. So its funny when some people don't respect that freedom, i.e. respect for one another. Discussing personal differences is a great way for everyone to sus out things in their life, as long as there is a mutual respect for one another's ideas and/or admittance that they don't know everything. I can understand defending "in_the_military"s right to say what's on his mind. However, when someone starts off on the wrong foot (as he/she did), its hard to gain the trust back, especially through something as emotionless as text on a screen through a wire. Just because the technology is cold doesn't mean we should act that way. So, here's hoping that maybe we can all chill, say "i'm sorry man, i put my foot in my mouth, what's on your mind", and maybe have a virtual beer. GIving thanks for the opportunity to post here,
Jesse