Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Health and U2

Can I just say that I love the new U2 record.

Some favorite lines (or scroll to the bottom for my thoughts):

"Miracle Drug:
Freedom has a scent
Like the top of a new born baby's head

God I need your help tonight
Beneath the noise
Below the din
I hear a voice
It's whispering
In science and in medicine
"I was a stranger
You took me in"


"City of Blinding Lights"
The more you know the less you feel
Some pray for, others steal
Blessings not just for the ones who kneel
Luckily


"Yahweh"
Yahweh, Yahweh
Always pain before a child is born
Yahweh, tell me now
Why the dark before the dawn?

Take this city
A city should be shining on a hill
Take this city
If it be your will
What no man can own, no man can take
Take this heart
Take this heart
Take this heart
And make it break


"Love and Peace or Else"
I don't know if I can take it
I'm not easy on my knees
Here's my heart you can break it


So, the whole "I'm not easy on my knees" line struck me today as Holly and I were driving around. There is a book out that I have on my wishlist called Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching the U2 Catalog that has been inspirational to me, even if just as a title.

Here's the thing. Religion for me when I was growing up was about 'praying things out' or 'helping people find Jesus'. This phrase of getting up off my knees is very provocative because I have seen too much on my knees and not enough of me out doing the work of the kingdom of God, you know?

But here's the thing, Evangelicalism might be a good move for someone who has never really considered their good deeds to be connected to the Creator. Does this make sense?

Here is an old post about this ongoing conversation in my life: multiplicity in healthy movements... or how someone can be moving in a completely different direction than me in order to become healthier.

So, for me, the liberation movement or the social justice movement seems a healthier place for me to journey towards, but perhaps that is not for everyone. Perhaps some people need to spend more time on their knees or reading their Bibles... just as much as I need to spend less time studying my Bible and on my knees and more time with the poor or helping people.

Hmm.

2 comments:

The Shib said...

In the military--

I have to disagree with just about everything you said.

Yeah its important to read the bible. Sure. Noone denies that.

But Ive gotta say--I grew up reading the bible. Read it cover to cover twice and honestly it doesnt do anything for me. I like the morals. I like the stories. I understand alot of what God had and has to say. I can appreciate its historical value even.

But faith is a feeling. Its not something that you can say to someone--heres why I believe this and this and this...dont you believe it to? Faith is what you feel is right and what you feel is driving your life and at the end of the day its what it all comes down to. Or thats my opinion. And thats another thing---faith is what you make it. So dont come on here holier than thou because you know it all. You dont. You know what you believe. And thats fine. Whatever works for you.

But I'll tell you this. I see more of God's work in people helping people than I ever saw in the bible. Thats people living a Christlike life, not just reading about it.

And who are you to say Ryan isnt doing anything to benefit others. You dont even know him. Nothing about him. Dont pretend you do.

And since when are the less fortunate all burning in hell. Did I miss the memo?

Jeffrey said...

ITM,
As a friend of Ryans, I feel I must say something. You don't know the man. Ryan is an amazing man of God. Maybe not by your standards, which seem somewhat skewed, but he is. He has challenged me in my faith and understanding of God. god is not something to be boxed in like you seem to be doing. I don't know that any of your verses fit what you were saying. I challenge you to think. The Bible helps our spiritual growth. I would never say it is all you need or that you HAVE to have it to be a Christian. Many Christ followers didn't have the Bible as we know it. They had to go off verbal retellings of Stories.
By the way, going to a beautiful place (Yosemite) and spending time with your wife is a great way to grow spiritually. You can sure do a lot of studying at Starbucks. Walk-a-Thons are designed to raise money for certain groups, usually needy. And as for all people less fortunate than you burning in hell... that makes me think that you are writing for attention. No christian, catholic, muslim, JW, or mormon believes that just because you are poor or unfortunate you are going to hell.
One last thing, if you stopped bitching at Ryan and tried to get to know him, you would find that the man has helped more people in his life than any of us give him credit for. He and Holly are amazing, and I mean AMAZING people. On fire for God. Burning to know the one who created them. Not willing to stop at Sunday School answers or half assed attempts at truth.