Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Redeeming the journey

Thank you for your words, oh kind sages...the solidarity soothes this soul.

So, I thought I'd take another stab at forcing myself to journey. I found that the kitchen might not be the best petri dish...at least at this point. But the garden I know a little better. After all, I did plant a mean herb garden back in Oceanside. I was the envy of all my neighbors. And I've wanted to start getting my hands dirty and get our garden up and running.

So, today we went to a local nursery and got some advice (good starting place, I'm thinking). You know, come to think of it, we didn't consult anyone on the Eggs Florentine. Perhaps a good starting place in the journey is to not just read about something, but to talk with someone who has been there or who is at least passionate about making Eggs Florentine. So, we got some advice.

You see, I want some pretty flowers that are simple and smell nice and will weave in and out of our chain link fence that guards our front yard. It'd be nice to play down the chain link fence as much as we can.

The nurserist (?) recommended Jasmine to us. We bought some and some organic potting soil. Came home, dug a hole, planted one of them and potted the other. They're on either side of our fence so that hopefully they'll grow towards each other (with a little guiding).

And I enjoyed this. Removing trash from our front yard and fence and replacing it with flowers. This seems like the Kingdom to me...replacing refuse with life. Ahh. The journey...I love the journey...philosophizing as we live out the Way.

Who knew that I just needed to get out of the kitchen and into the garden...perhaps this is a metaphor for life vocation? Or perhaps I'm full of shit and this was just easier for me than cooking Eggs Florentine!

1 comment:

Shaina said...

now THAT'S what i'm talking about! finding your place is KEY to enjoying the journey. i'm glad you found a sweet spot. i'm still working on mine. i totally dig the Kingdom of Heaven analogy too... totally right on. it is man - in all the little things. notice, all the things Jesus always referred to in comparison to the Kingdom were little? like a mustard seed or a jewel... because when we start with the little things, it spreads, and it consumes. the plants look great man. i don't know if my place is in the garden, but i definitely LOVE trying to grow things! blessings to you and your plants.