Tuesday, June 14, 2005

More on Shalom

So, whilst in Thailand I am (and Ben and Holly are as well) reading Walsh and Keesmatt's Colossians Remixed: Subverting the Empire and it has been a wonderful, helpful, timely read.

I am only on chapter two but am quickly realizing that these two are onto something incredibly profound in understanding this ancient text.

I just read a brief description of shalom and, since people have been asking what my tattoo means, I figured it'd be good to share it...

...One [shouldn't] miss the overtones of the Hebrew notion of shalom. Here is a word that is overflowingly rich in meaning. On one level it refers to well-being, may things go well with you. But this is a well-being that encompasses all of life. Shalom has to do with blessing, richness, abundance, and a far-reaching harmony that permeates and characterizes all of our relationships.

Yes! And that's what I have been trying to explain the tattoo as: Not just 'peace', but 'wholeness' and 'far-reaching harmony with Creator and creation'. Yes!

No comments: