Wednesday, February 16, 2005

An Interview With "Pastor" Sharp

It's posted online.

I was interviewed for the San Diego Reader this last week. It was kind of cathartic to get the story of Anchor Point out of my mouth to an 'objective stranger'. Still, you never feel like 500 words can do a story justice.

Here is a snippet: 'People view church success as a stable ministry, with a growing number of people attending the services. I've revamped my idea of what success looks like now,' said Sharp. 'I see success as people sacrificing more than they had, people giving more away. I see success as people connecting to nonchurch people and showing their faith and telling the story of God in their own words. My goal isn't to grow the service, but to get people to go out and do the things we speak about at church.'

PS - We are not 'white' because we do not have ethnic friends! We just don't have any people of color attending our services!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, there was so much from our interview that I wish I could have put in the story. It's hard to fit all these ideas w/in 800 or so words. I hope it is a starting place for people to rethink why they are doing church. I do appreciate a lot of your conversation and willingness to open up...thanks.

D. Goodmanson

Nate Millheim said...

Ryan,
Do you know which book or books it is that C.S. Lewis talks about the idea of Heaven you mentioned in the article. Just interested in what he wrote...thanks

ashdown said...

i believe the book he is speaking about is The Great Divorce. i could be wrong though...

i think the article was very truthful and i appreciated your honesty. it seemed very negative to me as well. just an observation....

Ryan Lee Sharp said...

In truth, many others beyond Lewis have informed my understanding of 'afterlife reality.' The Great Divorce is a good read as is Narnia. Both have interesting perspectives. Other study in ancient Hebrew understandings and early near East philosopy have informed this as well.

Brian McLaren's newest book in the "A New Kind of Christian" trilogy deals heavily with the topics of heaven/hell and their Zoroastrian roots. So good!