Saturday, October 13, 2007

Day 15: Omaha...somewhere in Middle America

I love that song. I just love the Counting Crows.

We drove through the rain to get here tonight. The first half of Kansas was dry and we got the highest miles per gallon (I'm a dork, I know) the whole trip. The northern part of Kansas was hit by a storm that sent out lightning spikes in every which direction. I was certain that we would die.

We saw flipped cars in medians, skidded out cars in grassy pastures, broken glass and bent steel. And that was on a 100-mile stretch. Ouch. I was scared.

But we made it...even with time to stop and get some diapers and coffee.

Tonight was unusual in that we had never met the host of the show. These things tend to be relational (and of course it was after the evening was done), but tonight was a bit of a blind date. It was quite fun though.

There are some inspired, curious folks in Omaha. I guess it's just like any other city in that way. But they have a slow charm to them, and the oxygen seems rich.

Tomorrow will be a long stretch for us...yesterday was a 4 1/2 hour drive, today a 5 hour drive, and tomorrow a 5 1/2 hour drive. Ouch. But then we'll chill for 4 nights in Minneapolis. [Selah]...oh, and we'll get to meet our friends' daughter, Selah.

It's getting closer to midnight than I had imagined, so it's time to sleep.

No comments: